Depot Party 2002
The Last Remaining Open-Air Train Depot In the United States
Mrs. Emma Kletschka & Jim Boberg
Old Lake Hubert Post Office relocated to Depot Building. Thanks to Ellie Ellingson.
HISTORIC TRAIN DEPOT
In 2002, over one hundred Lake Hubert and area residents celebrated the completed restoration of the historic Lake Hubert Train Depot. Funded by donations from area residents, a bequest by the Cote Family and donation of land by Mrs. Emma Kletschka and overseen by Ellie Ellingson and John Holbrook, the depot restoration conserved a treasured piece of Lake Hubert history.
The depot was built
in during the logging boom in 1896 by the Northern Pacific Railway and
was the only way to reach the town of Lake Hubert, then known simply as
“Hubert”, for many years, there being no usable roads. In 1969 the Railroad
Company closed the railroad line and the old open-air depot was purchased
for one dollar by Mr. Hugh McCaffrey, the Lake Hubert Postmaster and store
owner, and donated to the Lake Hubert Conservation Association with the
understanding that it would be moved to another site. Mrs. Emma Kletschka
donated property across the road from where the depot originally stood
and with the help of many people including long-time resident Jim Boberg,
the depot was moved to its present location. It is believed to be the only
original open-air depot remaining in the United States.